Boards of Canada

Thursday 27 November 2014

Man Parrish: Boogie Down (Bronx) Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop)

It's a sobering thought when I realize that when I bought Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop) and Boogie Down (Bronx) by Man Parrish, from Music Market, (on Broad Street, Worcester) back in the day, that it's been over thirty years since both of those landmark hip hop/electro tunes were first released in 1982 and 1984.

Whenever I listen to Boogie Down (Bronx) and Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop) they bring back nostalgic memories of an emerging hip hop scene from The South Bronx, in New York City and radiating outwards to the United States and out to the whole wide world. The music, deejaying, graffiti, breakdancing, b-boying and the whole positive attitude of the hip hop scene captured my imagination. It also has to be said, that it brings back some good, and not so good memories of me at my secondary school, Elgar High School, whilst growing up in and around the city of Worcester.

Tony Silver and Henry Chalfont's groundbreaking documentary, Style Wars, gave me such a valuable insight into the life of a young, burgeoning underground community of the New York City graffiti artists, who led a clandestine double life 'bombing' 'tagging' and dreaming of being 'all-city'.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting some of the most amazing hip hop fans over the years. Whose lives have been spent in nurturing and ensuring that the message,and legacy of old school hip hop will live on. I have been truly humbled by the knowledge and dedication that my friends have shown. When I listen and read about the history and memories of people who have been a part of hip hop, it humbles me, and reminds me of how little I really know.

Tracks like Boogie Down (Bronx) and Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop) reminds me of those young, trailblazing New Yorkers who kick started a scene that has endured into the 21st century. The memories of that hip hop era have stayed with me, and will always be a part of my life. Even though I'm a technohead/drumnbasshead. (and a follower of MANY other genres of music) At heart, I'm still that awkward Adidas, Puma, Nike loving teenager at heart, who loves nothing more than 808 beats, basslines and rhymes.

So as a tribute, I made my own accompanying videos which features Boogie Down (Bronx) and Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop) with all these individual constituting elements of hip hop, which is my way of paying tribute to an era that inspired me then, and will always continue to do so.
 
Man Parrish featuring Freeze Force Crew: Boogie Down (Bronx)
(Sugarscoop Records 1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQtC6Z1Fp0w




Man Parrish: Hip Hop Be Bop (Don't Stop)
(Sugarscoop Records / Polydor Records 1982)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKLVzv0sg_k





For Future Reference.....
Old school hip hop heads out there check out Johnny Scratch's Youtube site:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOX_sIp5Ipd01LArJLqpJ7A



No comments:

Post a Comment