Boards of Canada

Saturday 13 December 2014

Subwayz Selectionz 2014 26 Actress

My Top 30 Albums Of The Year




26. Actress: Ghettoville (Werkdiscs/Ninja Tune)

Tracklisting:
  1. Forgiven
  2. Street Corp.
  3. Corner
  4. Rims 
  5. Contagious
  6. Birdcage
  7. Our
  8. Time
  9. Towers
  10. Gaze
  11. Skyline
  12. Image
  13. Don't
  14. Rap
  15. Frontline
  16. Rule


Ghettoville is supposedly Darren Cunningham's final offer in his Actress incarnation. I got the previous Actress album RIP, and found that it was difficult to get into. It took more than a few plays to finally appreciate the Actress sound, but I'm glad that I did. I've found Ghettoville to be of the same ilk, with brief mutant vignettes punctuated between dark longer beat driven slabs of loops and samples. I've noticed that Ghettoville has been on a few reviewers 2014 top ten lists. However, I don't think that this album isn't as accessible as previous material, and I feel that this has been the difference between Ghettoville being good, and not being great. 




My Standout Track: Skyline 









My Top 30 Albums of 2014
30. Legowelt: Crystal Cult 2080 (Creme Organization)
29. The Cyclist: Flourish (All City Dublin)
28. Recondite: Iffy (Innervisions)
27. Sully: Blue (Keysound Recordings)
26. Actress: Ghettoville (Werkdiscs/Ninja Tune)

No comments:

Post a Comment